Best Post-Workout Meals | Morning vs. Night- Thomas DeLauer

Click Here to Subscribe: http://Bit.ly/ThomasVid
My Special Fan Discount on Four Sigmatic: http://foursigmatic.com/thomas
My Website: http://ThomasDeLauer.com

Best Post-Workout Meals | Morning vs. Night- Thomas DeLauer
Morning:
Fat Storing Genes – Study

Study from BMC Medical Genomics found that you start your day with insulin sensitive muscles and insulin resistant adipose tissue, which reverses its trend towards the night, when you end up with the opposite.

Specifically, “fuel accumulation” genes, such as those involved in cholesterol biosynthesis (HMGCR, HMGSC1), LDL receptor (LDLR), and glucose transport (GLUTS 1, 3, 5 and 14) have low levels in the morning and rise in the afternoon (negatively, correlated with PER1 mRNA.)

Caffeine, Fat Burning & Glycogen:
Caffeine increases adrenaline, which increases lipolysis – an increase in free fatty acids shooting around your body causes a subsequent, but necessary, drop in insulin sensitivity to allow you to actually burn the fat. It stimulates the liver to release glucose into the bloodstream in the case that we need quick energy – So as a result, our body finds a way to allow for fat burning to occur by becoming temporarily insulin resistant. In a state of impaired insulin sensitivity, insulin can’t bind to its receptor properly which prevents it from triggering its anti-fat-burning effects. Caffeine may aid in facilitating glucose uptake from the blood into the muscles as caffeine intake can acutely lower insulin sensitivity and increase glucose concentrations.

In addition, caffeine seems to increase the activity of several signaling enzymes, including the calcium-dependent protein kinase and protein kinase B (also called Akt), both which, when activated, trigger an uptake in muscle glucose during and after exercise. Furthermore, caffeine activates AMPK, and activation of AMPK has also been deemed necessary for contraction-stimulated glucose transport into skeletal muscle.

Night:
High protein again alongside high carb to capitalize on insulin sensitivity while also keeping the meal quite lean to minimize fat storage – get fats in the way of omega 3’s to increase protein synthesis (as well as them storing in phospholipids)

Omega 3’s:
A study published in the journal Clinical Science looked at 9 healthy participants, age 25-45, who led a sedentary lifestyle that supplemented with 4 grams of DHA and EPA daily for an 8-week period.
Results showed that omega 3’s did not affect protein synthesis without the addition of insulin and amino acids. But, in a high amino acid and insulin environment, the higher omega-3 fatty acid levels enhanced mechanisms of muscle growth. With increased omega-3 fatty acids following supplementation, it was found that the muscle protein fractional synthesis rate increased.

The pathways which regulate protein synthesis (mTORSer2448 and p70s6kThr389) increased by roughly 50% (50% more active in the presence of higher omega-3 fatty acid levels) Epicatechin is known for its ability to boost muscle growth – the epicatechin contained in chocolate has the ability to inhibit a protein called myostatin.

Myostatin restricts muscle growth to prevent hypertrophy – Epicatechin decreases the myostatin production in the body and it increases the production of another protein called follistatin. This protein promotes muscle growth and helps minimize the effect of myostatin in the body.

Epicatechin positively affects blood flow as it enhances the production of nitric oxide – naturally widens the blood vessels allowing blood to circulate freely around the body. Good blood circulation promotes shuttling of more nutrients to your muscles.

Cacao and Fat Storage:
Shown to decrease the hepatic gene expression for tricarboxylate (ci- trate) transport protein, adenosine triphosphate citrate lyase, and fatty acid synthase – indicate that cocoa decreases gene expression of the FA synthesis system in the liver.

Fructose/Glucose/Salt:
When a carb that uses SGLT1 is ingested at a rate of 1 g/min, this transporter may saturate and ingesting more of a specific carbohydrate may not result in an increased appearance of that carbohydrate in the circulation. Fructose uses a different transport system and is transported (independent of sodium) by GLUT5. SGLT1 carries out the co-transport of one molecule of glucose/galactose together with two sodium ions – cotransport with sodium. It was believed that even when “fast carbohydrates” were ingested during exercise, these could not be greater than 1 g/min (60 g/h)

But the ingestion of glucose & fructose together is ingested at high rates of up to 2.4 g/min

1. Aria Aloi says:

What about taking the cacoa and cordyceps pre-workout? For a non-keto athlete.

2. Awillii says:

Morning workouts for the win (no pork on my fork though)!!

3. Thank you Thomas, your content is amazing, i made correction to my keto diet that had instant results. This post workout video is a good clarification

4. Franklin Yao says:

Keep up the good work !! Always best info on nutrition and workouts !

5. VAIBHAV JAIN says:

Does whey protein is as bad as dairy?

6. I appreciate you and the dedication, knowledge, and hard work you put into all of your videos. Thank you so much for your kindness brother! You're changing my life and words couldn't begin to describe my gratitude. From the bottom of my heart, again, thank you!

7. Bruno Rocha says:

I workout everyday at 7am, then I fast until 15pm. Would be ok to break my fast with a high fat meal or that wouldn't be ok? Thanks!

8. mikeyd7733 says:

I am slightly confused by this because I have been following the "Chocolate Moo Moo" drink an hour or so before laying down which is very high in fat. Is that not right?

9. Zack Attic says:

I went to check out the shroom coffee, but it's sold out!

10. Jim McKnight says:

Love this.. Orange juice dextrose poweder and salt post workout !!!

11. Suzane Lima says:

I'm confused, I thought no grains on KETO therefore, no rice cakes?

12. Indy Bryan says:

Will you have liver glycogen available in the morning if your deep in ketosis?

13. I started Keto diet 3 days ago lol yep pretty new to this life style change, the same day I started Keto, I went and got a gym membership, so I fast in the morning and eat at 3pm and eat again 8-9pm cause I am starving by 8pm no matter how full I fell at 3pm, around 10pm I go the gym and work out lightly cause my body not use to it for an hr and then head back home and make some golden tea also new but heard is good for the liver and I just found out I have a fatty liver and gallbladder stones and then get ready for bed… so my question to you am I ruin my Keto diet ? by eating and exercising so late ? Today I check my weight I was at 178 when I started and went down to 171 in 3 days, it was funny cause my scale ask if it was me using the scale, but aside from that I have seen no changes in my body except being tired and cranky but I expect all that cause I did a 360 from my normal routine

14. Baby Steps, I bought Pea Protein mix. I hope it tastes good. I never had anything like this except yrs ago i blindly followed Oprah on optifast, strawberry mix. bleccch!

15. How do you apply the principles to a One Meal A Day eating approach? Thanks.

16. Good job Thomas!
    But how can I maintain my weight and muscles volume without a pre-workout meal?

17. Oana Berci says:

I’m not entirely clear on how the low/no fat evening meal fits in with your “protein sandwich” hypothesis. I thought we were supposed to lower fats in the mid day meal??

18. icancanoe says:

Concerned about the caffeine in cacao post evening workout. Might create an issue with sleep.

19. Ashley Aiken says:

What do you do if your a vegetarian for a post workout morning meal? (:

20. awesome food says:

Ty great information

21. Brandon S. says:

Hi Thomas — Something I was confused about from a Keto perspective after watching: How does the evening post-workout meal with reduced fats and the research indicating that we store more fat in the evening time, coincide with previous videos you've done for Keto in regards to the "Protein Sandwich" theory? Or in another video, you recommend taking MCT oil before bed to help with sleeping and fat-burning at night? Thanks again for the great videos and information!

22. You need to start adding side effects of these products like cacao. I followed your evening post work out meal with cacao and disrupted my sleep to only more 4 hours sleep, all day migraine headache and drowsy all damn day. Almost had an accident driving home. You just broke my trust Thomas…just because some online store wants to pay you to promote their product then you're cheerfully announcing it from the rooftop. Viewers!!! Warning!!! If you get an accident taking all his products recommendation then SUE him.

23. DIANE says:

What about if i'm having 1 meal a day and it's in the evening post workout, i'm working out as well in the evening. Means i can't have any fats at all.
    P.S. cordyceps gives energy, the same with cacao, i tried both, if i'm having in the evening these, i have sleeping issues 🙂

24. What about people who:
    Workout in the morning (10am) and break fast every day in the afternoon (3pm)?
    Thanks 🙏

25. tnvoljr says:

FakeDoc, don't get lazy on me now. Where are the notes on this video? 🙂

26. Stealthevo7 says:

What do you think about supplementing cacao or cocoa powder and a link to cadmium risks?

27. Wait but i was doing what you said couple videos back on spiking the insulin after the workout and IF?? You said to go with 30-40g of carbs, 15g fructose, Omega 3 and lean protein..

28. Adan Feliz says:

29. And since when does fructose get stored in the muscle tissue

30. Apparently the insulin resistance during the evening is bogus

VV study VV

31. TheAriiiiii says:

Man, thanks a lot for your help in everything you talk about.

32. Joe Edwards says:

Thomas I eat BF around 7:30-8am and workout at 11:30am everyday M-Friday. Would you recommend the morning post workout meal for me or something else?

33. REVIEW MEDIA says:

As a bodybuilder that trains 5 days a week high intensity trying to build as much muscle as possible, wouldn't a high carb high protein meal after work out in the morning be more beneficial than fat? If yes should the bodybuilder take in high carbs every morning during the 5 days and high fats on days of no training?

34. Kelly Butler says:

Wondering if you’re able to clarify something regarding evening/morning post workout, as I’m personally in a bit of a different situation than the ‘gen pop’. I work a 3rd shift situation, so my morning is night time and visa versa. I’m sure it wasn’t covered in the studies…but if I am doing intermittent fasting (generally 4pm to midnight), should I treat these theories/best practices as if my night is my morning? I’m not sure if that’s able to be clarified, I’m just wondering if it has to do with internal clock and if I am okay to eat fattier things when it’s ((my)) morning? Xoxo thank you!