The PERFECT Home Workout (Sets and Reps Included)

Home workouts can be a lifesaver, especially in times when you cannot get to the gym. In this video, I’m going to give you a complete home workout routine with all sets and reps included to help you to build muscle regardless of whether or not you ever step foot in a gym. The key to the effectiveness of this perfect home workout is that it pairs exercises together in a way that allows you to train to greater overload than would be possible if you stuck with one single exercise, and it will keep the workouts brief at the same time.

This perfect home workout consists of not one but two complete total body workouts. The first, workout A, is to be performed on Monday and Friday of week 1. Workout B is to be performed on Wednesday. In week 2, this is flipped so that A is performed once on Wednesday and B is performed on both Monday and Friday. You can continue to alternate the workouts in this way if you decide to do this for longer.

This workout for home is going to allow you to hit your total body in under one hour.

With this being the goal, the idea is not to try and hit each muscle with too many individual exercises since this could lead to an excessively long workout and potential for doing too much in the given workout. Instead, we select the exercises based on movement patterns that we know we want to hit to accomplish our goal of building muscle everywhere.

These patterns are broken down below and the exercises included in each are shown.

Keep in mind, there are two complete versions of each workout to be sure that the beginners and more advanced trainees can follow this program and get results from it.

Here is how to construct the perfect home total body workout A:

1. SQUAT / ANTERIOR (1 MINUTE PER EXERCISE / REST-PAUSE IF NEEDED)
Alt. Single Leg Box Squats (use low box if advanced / higher box for beginners)
1 1/2 Bottomed Out Squats (to failure)
Jump Squats

2. UPPER PUSH (1 MINUTE PER EXERCISE / REST-PAUSE IF NEEDED)
Handstand Pushups OR Power Pushaways
Rotational Pushups OR Knee Rotational Pushups
Cobra Pushups (long head contracted) OR Knee Cobra Pushups

3. HINGE / POSTERIOR (1 MINUTE PER EXERCISE / REST-PAUSE IF NEEDED)
Alt. Single Leg Heel Touch Squats (use “kickstand” if needed)
Alt. Sprinter Lunges
Plyo Sprinter Lunges (jump from higher position if more beginner)

4. UPPER PULL (1 MINUTE PER EXERCISE / REST-PAUSE IF NEEDED)
Pullups OR Seated Pullups
Human Pullovers OR BW Sliding Pulldowns
Inverted Chin Curls

5. ABS (1 MINUTE PER EXERCISE / REST-PAUSE IF NEEDED)
Reverse Corkscrews
Black Widow Knee Slides
Levitation Crunches

6. CORRECTIVE (1 MINUTE PER EXERCISE / REST-PAUSE IF NEEDED)
Angels and Devils

COMPLETE 1-2 MORE ROUNDS (TOTAL WORKOUT TIME: 35-50 MINUTES)

Here is how to construct the perfect home workout B:

HINGE / POSTERIOR x 3 ROUNDS
Slick Floor Bridge Curl (Single Leg) OR Slick Floor Bridge Curl (Dual Leg)
Long Leg March
High Hip Bucks

LUNGE / ANTERIOR x 3 ROUNDS
Alt. Crossover Step Ups
Alt. Reverse Lunges
Split Squat Jumps

UPPER PUSH x 3 ROUNDS
Variable Wall Pushups OR Knee Decline Pushups to Knee Flat Pushups
Alt. BW Side Lateral Raises (from knees for beginners)
Tricep BW Extensions (long head stretch)

UPPER PULL x 3 ROUNDS
Chin Ups OR Seated Chin Ups
Inverted Rows
Back Widows

ABS x 2 ROUNDS
Ab Halos
V-Up Tucks
Sit-Up Elbow Thrusts

CORRECTIVE x 2 ROUNDS
Reverse Hypers

COMPLETE 1-2 MORE ROUNDS (TOTAL WORKOUT TIME: 35-50 MINUTES)

If you are doing this workout just to try it out, then I would suggest you choose the workout A variation. That said, if you opt to do a more comprehensive total body split workout routine then you will want to either incorporate workouts A and B into a twice a week plan or, even better, alternating A and B on M, W and F each week.

For a complete 6 week home workout plan, be sure to head to athleanx.com via the link below to get the athlean xero program. No equipment at all is required. Build muscle at home in just 6 short weeks.

For more home workout videos and the best exercises to build muscle at home, be sure to subscribe to our channel here on youtube via the link below and don’t forget to turn on your notifications so you never miss a new video when it’s published.

Build Muscle in 90 Days – http://athleanx.com/x/my-workouts
Subscribe to this channel here – http://youtube.com/user/jdcav24

1. ATHLEAN-X™ says:

NEW “FAST ACTION” Q&A – Leave your most burning question about this video or any other training, PT or nutrition question within the first 2 hours of this video’s release (AS A SEPARATE COMMENT!!) and I will pick 8 to get a detailed reply from me right here in the comments. Answers will be posted within the first 24-48 hours of you leaving the question. Good luck!

2. Lubos Šimko says:

oh my freak.. good, that was hard, was able to do only beginners and only once, hopefully next time i will be able to do it more

3. PH Medeiros says:

Just started following this traing today. IT kicked my ass.😵😵😵

4. Wesley Angel says:

This is an amazing video, as per usual, but this one is perfect! I deeply appreciate all of the hard work and dedication you have for the community and I am very grateful for all of your videos, as always, but especially so for this one for obvious reasons. I hope everyone is safe and healthy. Have a great evening.

5. Sonie says:

Thank you Jeff. Really Appreciate.

6. He's got his shirt on…….wait……..there it is. No shirt.

7. Jon Doe says:

Much respect for you Jeff, never stop grinding

8. uItrAsIan1 says:

Great vid Jeff! But guys seriously, just buy some dumbells. You can add dozens of workouts with just a set of dumbells(with adjustable weight)

9. Jordan Deck says:

Would pike pushups be a good alternative to the handstand push-ups?

10. Jordan Deck says:

Would pike pushups be a good alternative to the handstand push-ups?

11. People remember, you can GO OUTSIDE if you can, like, not necessarily INSIDE your house. Haha

12. Usman Abbas says:

I love you man! I was so down and feeling like shit not being able to go to the gym. This changes everything! Thank you – love from Toronto!

13. Shahrozeyt says:

I had lost hope about getting selected into Army because of the initial physical tests. I can do most of them but chinups and pushups are impossible for me to do. I watched your pushups video and started 4 days ago and now I can go upto 5 pushups in 1 turn 😀 now I have hope. I still have 2 months to get myself fit 🙂 sadly still can't do chinups but atleast now I have hope .

14. Just a few hours after this video was uploaded, the autorities from where I live decided to close all gyms, so I gave it a try today.
    It's actually pretty tough. Since I'm not yet at a level where I can mantain 1 minute of handstand push-ups or cobra push-ups, I did as many as I could before changing to the easier versions.
    It took me a lot more time than it was supposed to, since I had to look at the video all the time to remember the exercises I wasn't acquainted with. I've also got the feeling that I didn't quite get the correct execution of the human pull over yet.
    Anyway, I got a really nice pump after it was all said and done. I will try the B variation later this week.
    Thanks, Jeff 👍🏻

15. Finn Mc says:

Quarantine full body fitness please xx

16. TheRbruin10 says:

This guy is ON TOP OF IT. Thanks Athlean!

17. Vlad Podobed says:

What does “1 min per combo” exactly mean? Like, for example 1 non of doing single leg box squat after that 1 min of 1 1/2 bottomed out squats and so on, or one minute for a muscle group in general?

18. Josh King says:

Thank you ATHLEAN-X for recognizing the wide variety of people's capabilities by having an advanced and beginner method.

19. Jeff. Bud. You’re the best. I just got turned away from my gym cuz of corona and was thinking “I wonder if i can find a good at home workout” And there you are. Amazing.

20. Rare & Shiny says:

A friend asked me what I'm going to do now that we're stuck at home for the next two weeks. My response is your video.

21. Ryan Cortez says:

When he says rounds does that mean we do each set 2-3 time back to back or we do the whole routine 2-3 times?

22. Omr Apydn says:

So how does a combo work, can someone explain?

23. Joey White says:

Thank you so much for this Jeff! Really needed this. Got my last work out at the gym this morning and now it's closed

24. Med i says:

Why the big majority of the comments are :
    "Random statement…
    Jeff: statement"
    I watched the video I know what he said, are you trying to be funny or what?
    I mean I don't want to be the annoying guy but I was looking for some opinions about the workouts and all I could find were those type of comments.

25. Hi Jeff. What if I'm a complete zero and wanted to try this, would it be advisable to do so ?